New

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

New

Postby Pastor on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:21 am

New

As I waited on God for today’s message, I thought about the NEW year, when the word NEW jumped out at me.

This is a NEW message.

This is a NEW year. I am going to read you a LOT of scripture today .. is that OK??
Here is what the Holy Spirit led me to teach about the word NEW.

New Covenant - First we have to look at the OLD Covenant in order to understand the NEW.

In Exodus 19 & 20, God spoke to Moses to have the people wash and sanctify themselves, then He (God Himself) would decend on Mout Sainia and speak directly to the people. This is BEAUTIFUL because it’s the first time that God made a provision to come down and speak to the people since the garden !!
So He speaks – the 10 Words of God – thunder – lightning – trumpet blast.
Then the saddest thing happens .. the people back away and tell Moses they don’t want to hear – “Have God speak to you” they said.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEW - New Covenant
Hebrews 8:6-13 Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
6 But Jesus has now obtained a superior ministry, and to that degree he is the mediator of a better covenant, which has been established on better promises.
A Superior Covenant
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion for a second one. 8 But finding fault with his people,[c] he says:[d]
See, the days are coming, says the Lord,
when I will make a NEW covenant with the house of Israel
and with the house of Judah—
9 not like the covenant that I made with their ancestors
on the day I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt. I showed no concern for them, says the Lord,
because they did not continue in my covenant.
10 For THIS is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord:

I will put my laws into their minds
and write them on their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they will be my people.

11 And each person will not teach his fellow citizen,[e]and each his brother or sister, saying, “Know the Lord,”because they will all know me,from the least to the greatest of them.
12 For I will forgive their wrongdoing,
and I will never again remember their sins.[f][g]
13 By saying a new covenant, he has declared that the first is obsolete. And what is obsolete and growing old is about to pass away.

And AGAIN in Hebrew 10…
Hebrews 10 Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
10 Since the law has only a shadow of the good things to come, and not the reality itself of those things, it can never perfect the worshipers by the same sacrifices they continually offer year after year. 2 Otherwise, wouldn’t they have stopped being offered, since the worshipers, purified once and for all, would no longer have any consciousness of sins? 3 But in the sacrifices there is a reminder of sins year after year. 4 For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
. . .
8 After he says above, You did not desire or delight in sacrifices and offerings, whole burnt offerings and sin offerings (which are offered according to the law), 9 he then says, See, I have come to do your will.[b] He takes away the first to establish the second. 10 By this will, we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.
11 Every priest stands day after day ministering and offering the same sacrifices time after time, which can never take away sins. 12 But this man, after offering one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God.[c] 13 He is now waiting until his enemies are made his footstool. 14 For by one offering he has perfected forever those who are sanctified. 15 The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. For after he says:
16 This is the covenant I will make with them
after those days,
the Lord says, I will put my laws on their hearts
and write them on their minds,
17 and I will never again remember their sins and their lawless acts.[d]
18 Now where there is forgiveness of these, there is no longer an offering for sin.
19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have boldness to enter the sanctuary through the blood of Jesus— 20 he has inaugurated[e] for us a new and living way through the curtain (that is, through his flesh)— 21 and since we have a great high priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed in pure water. 23 Let us hold on to the confession of our hope without wavering, since he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us watch out for one another to provoke love and good works, 25 not neglecting to gather together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging each other, and all the more as you see the day approaching.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NEW - New Birth
John 3 Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
3 There was a man from the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to him at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God, for no one could perform these signs you do unless God were with him.”
3 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, unless someone is born again,[a] he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 “How can anyone be born when he is old?” Nicodemus asked him. “Can he enter his mother’s womb a second time and be born?”
5 Jesus answered, “Truly I tell you, unless someone is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 Whatever is born of the flesh is flesh, and whatever is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I told you that you must be born again. 8 The wind blows where it pleases, and you hear its sound, but you don’t know where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.”
9 “How can these things be?” asked Nicodemus.
10 “Are you a teacher[b] of Israel and don’t know these things?” Jesus replied. 11 “Truly I tell you, we speak what we know and we testify to what we have seen, but you do not accept our testimony. 12 If I have told you about earthly things and you don’t believe, how will you believe if I tell you about heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heavenexcept the one who descended from heaven—the Son of Man.[c]
14 “Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 so that everyone who believes in him may[d] have eternal life. 16 For God loved the world in this way:[e] He gave[f] his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Anyone who believes in him is not condemned, but anyone who does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of the one and only Son of God.
NEW - New every morning
Hmm – I have heard that before .. WHAT is NEW every morning??
Lamentations 3:22-23
ESV
22 The steadfast love (Hebrew Rakh’-am) of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end;

רַחַם H7356 racham rakh'-am
From H7355; compassion (in the plural); by extension the womb (as cherishing the foetus); by implication a maiden: - bowels, compassion, damsel, tender love, (great, tender) mercy, pity, womb.

ESV
22 The steadfast love (Hebrew Rakh’-am) of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end;

23 they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

NEW - New Heaven & New Earth…
Revelation 21 Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
The New Creation
21 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 I also saw the holy city, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God,prepared like a bride adorned for her husband.
3 Then I heard a loud voice from the throne:[a] Look, God’s dwelling[b] is with humanity, and he will live with them. They will be his peoples,[c] and God himself will be with them and will be their God.[d] 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Death will be no more; grief, crying, and pain will be no more, because the previous things[e] have passed away.
5 Then the one seated on the throne said, “Look, I am making everything new.” He also said, “Write, because these words[f] are faithful and true.”6 Then he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. I will freely give to the thirsty from the spring of the water of life. 7 The one who conquers will inherit these things, and I will be his God, and he will be my son. 8 But the cowards, faithless,[g]detestable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars—their share will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”
The New Jerusalem
9 Then one of the seven angels, who had held the seven bowls filled with the seven last plagues, came and spoke with me: “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” 10 He then carried me away in the Spirit[h] to a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, 11 arrayed with God’s glory. Her radiance was like a precious jewel, like a jasper stone, clear as crystal. 12 The city had a massive high wall, with twelve gates. Twelve angels were at the gates; the names of the twelve tribes of Israel’s sons were inscribed on the gates. 13 There were three gates on the east, three gates on the north, three gates on the south, and three gates on the west. 14 The city wall had twelve foundations, and the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb were on the foundations.
15 The one who spoke with me had a golden measuring rod to measure the city, its gates, and its wall. 16 The city is laid out in a square; its length and width are the same. He measured the city with the rod at 12,000 stadia.[i] Its length, width, and height are equal. 17 Then he measured its wall, 144 cubits according to human measurement, which the angel used. 18 The building material of its wall was jasper, and the city was pure gold clear as glass. 19 The foundations of the city wall were adorned with every kind of jewel: the first foundation is jasper, the second sapphire, the third chalcedony, the fourth emerald, 20 the fifth sardonyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. 21 The twelve gates are twelve pearls; each individual gate was made of a single pearl. The main street[j] of the city was pure gold, transparent as glass.
22 I did not see a temple in it, because the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb are its temple. 23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, because the glory of God illuminates it, and its lamp is the Lamb. 24 The nations[k] will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it.[l] 25 Its gates will never close by day because it will never be night there. 26 They will bring the glory and honor of the nations into it.[m] 27 Nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those written in the Lamb’s book of life.

I WILL END WITH A WORD OUT OF MICAH THAT HAS BEEN FEEDING ME LATELY:
Micah 6:8 (AMP)
"[God] has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you except to be just, and to love [and to diligently practice] kindness (compassion), And to walk humbly with your God [setting aside any overblown sense of importance or self-righteousness]"
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes