If You Love Me

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

If You Love Me

Postby Pastor on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:36 am

If You Love Me

If you love Me, keep my commandments . .

If you DON’T love Me, DON’T keep my commandments . .

How many here love Jesus? Now, think carefully, but don’t raise your hand, are you keeping His commandments? Do you know what His commandments ARE?

(pause)

Well, you’ve come to the right place .. I know you WANT to love Jesus properly and you WANT to glorify Him !!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FIRST, let’s look at how YOU can cause GLORY to go to God :D

PSALM 50:23
KJ21
Whoso offereth praise (towdah) glorifieth Me; and to him that ordereth his manner of living aright, I will show the salvation of God.”

MSG (starts with the verse before)
“Time’s up for playing fast and loose with me. I’m ready to pass sentence, and there’s no help in sight! It’s the praising life that honors me. As soon as you set your foot on the Way, I’ll show you my salvation.”

AMP
“He who offers a sacrifice of praise and thanksgiving honors Me; And to him who orders his way rightly [who follows the way that I show him], I shall show the salvation of God.”

OK, back to the subject at hand:

What are Jesus’ TOP 2 COMMANDMENTS?

The NUMBER ONE commandment & NUMBER TWO (Jesus Himself said so)

Matt 22:34-40 NIV
34 Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"
37 Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

The Commands of Jesus (Orders From Our Commander In Chief)
Our Orders From Jesus
Really, you could read the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke & John) over and over and learn all that He commanded (at least what was written down), but I felt led to give you some IMPORTANT HIGHLIGHTS:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

GO AND MAKE DISCIPLES

Matt 28:18-20 TLB
18 He told his disciples, "I have been given all authority in heaven and earth. 19 Therefore GO AND MAKE DISCIPLES in all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and then teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you; and be sure of this-that I am with you always, even to the end of the world."
So, that begs to answer .. WHAT do we TEACH the disciples? .. To obey all the commandments He gave us .. WHAT did Jesus COMMAND??? Good question, huh? The verse ABOVE is a command . . .

Another Thing Jesus Commanded:

WAIT FOR THE SPIRIT:

Acts 1:1-5 NIV
1:1 In my former book, Theophilus, I wrote about all that Jesus began to do and to teach 2 until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen. 3 After his suffering, he showed himself to these men and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. 4 On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. 5 For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

Love your enemies . . .

Matt 5:43-48 CSB
43 “You have heard that it was said, Love your neighbor[q] and hate your enemy. 44 But I tell you, LOVE YOUR ENEMIES[r] and pray for those who[s] persecute you, 45 so that you may be[t] children of your Father in heaven. For he causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Don’t even the tax collectors do the same? 47 And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what are you doing out of the ordinary?[u] Don’t even the Gentiles[v] do the same? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. From G5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); completeness: - of full age, man, perfect.

DON’T FORGET:

DON’T LET YOUR HEART BE TROUBLED:

Now, according to the OBJECT of the sentence, WHO is He talking to?

So, WHO’S responsible for NOT letting their heart be troubled?

This is a COMMAND of Jesus .. when we obey it and control our thoughts, GREAT peace will guard our hearts :)

John 14:27 NKJV
27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Phil 4:6-7 TLB
6 Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs, and don't forget to thank him for his answers. 7 If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.

PREACH THE GOSPEL – CAST OUT DEMONS – HEAL THE SICK:

Mark 16:15-18 KJV
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18.They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD:

John 14:1-6 AMP
1 DO NOT let your hearts be troubled (distressed, agitated). You believe in and adhere to and trust in and rely on God; believe in and adhere to and trust in and rely also on Me.
2 In My Father's house there are many dwelling places (homes). If it were not so, I would have told you; for I am going away to prepare a place for you.
3 And when (if) I go and make ready a place for you, I will come back again and will take you to Myself, that where I am you may be also.
4 And [to the place] where I am going, you know the way.
5 Thomas said to Him, Lord, we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?
6 Jesus said to him, I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one comes to the Father except by (through) Me.

Mark 11:22-26 KJV
22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, HAVE FAITH IN GOD.
23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

. . . and the last command from Jesus that we are going to talk about today is in Matthew 11 . . .

COME UNTO ME:

Matt 11:28-30 NKJV
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. G373 rest ἀναπαύω anapauō
Thayer Definition:
1) to cause or permit one to cease from any movement or labour in order to recover and collect his strength
29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes