Faith, Family & Friends

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Faith, Family & Friends

Postby Pastor on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:43 am

Faith, Family & Friends

I received one of the most SIGNIFICANT hugs of my life yesterday.

Mark Glueck –

You can’t make old friends

Jesus – His Faith, Family & Friends

2 Cor 5:19 AMPC
19 It was God [personally present] in Christ, reconciling and restoring the world to favor with Himself, not counting up and holding against [men] their trespasses [but cancelling them], and committing to us the message of reconciliation (of the restoration to favor).

Joseph his earthly father

John the immerser

Lazarus

I am EXTREMELY blessed today by God and ALL of you today ..

2 significant friends/family added this year

Last week – heart cath – sang Christmas songs

As the first president Bush descended from the platform after ending his term as President of the United States, he had a different demeanor – a slower walk. When asked to sum up his experiences, he said, “I HAVE BEEN THE PRESIDENT OF THE MOST POWERFUL NATION IN THIS WORLD’S HISTORY .. I HAVE SEEN MANY THINGS AND I HAVE BEEN MANY PLACES, BUT WHAT I HAVE DISCOVERED AS MOST IMPORTANT ARE FAMILY, FAITH, & FRIENDS . . .”

FAMILY

God shows us the order of importance to Him by His order of creation .. the individual, husband & wife, children with family are all before the church and community and nation – those institutions came later.

1 Tim 5:8 NKJV
8 . . . if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. (infidel
(actively) disbelieving, i.e. without Christian faith (specially, a heathen)

As Pat Buchanan wrote:

. . . go up to Gettysburg and park your car behind the union center. Look across that mile-long field and visualize 15,000 men and boys forming up at the tree line. See them walking across into the fire of cannon and gun, knowing they would never get back, never see home again. Nine of ten never even owned a slave. They were fighting for the things for which men have always fought: family, faith, friends, and country.

I am sure that some of you here today have come to realize that your church family has become closer to you than your natural family ..
Eph 2:18-22 NIV
18 For through him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.
19 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and MEMBERS OF GOD'S HOUSEHOLD, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. 21 In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. 22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

1 Cor 12:12-21 & 26-27 KJV
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
Body .. Sooma - NT:4983
.. typically sooma is used of a (large or small) number of men closely united into one society, or family as it were; a social, ethical, mystical body; the church:
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many.
15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?
18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.
19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?
20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
. . .
26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
FAITH:

Eph 2:7-10 KJV
7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Faith is our response to what God has already done for us.

1 Cor 16:13-14
13 Be on your guard; stand firm in THE FAITH; be men of courage; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.
NIV

FRIENDS

The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), Pudd'nhead Wilson

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."
- Bible: Ecclesiastes 4:9

It is VERY revealing to me that the Bible doesn’t command us to TRUST on another, we are commanded to LOVE one another .. trust is EARNED, trust comes by consistent relationship.

Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.
George Washington (1732 - 1799)

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Bible, John xv. 13.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one.

C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963)

Prov 16:28 NIV
28 A perverse man stirs up dissension,
and a gossip separates close friends.

The friendship that can cease has never been real.

Saint Jerome (374 AD - 419 AD), Letter

Prov 27:10 NIV
10 Do not forsake your friend and the friend of your father . . .

The best friend I ever saw displayed was on the movie, “Mr. Holland’s Opus”. I wept SEVERAL times during that movie. . . You see Mr. Holland could have EASILY have been me (or my dad or my brother Al). Mr. Holland was a professional musician .. the LOVE of his life was music .. Blah blah blah

A friend is something you make for LIFE . .

A friend is someone you can tell ANYTHING to, and they love you ANYWAY ! ! !

The Good Samaritan – The Good Friend

Luke 10:25-37 (NIV)
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
26 "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"
27 He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"
28 "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."
29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"
30 In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.
31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.
32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.
33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.
34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him.
35 The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'
36 "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"
37 The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

Listen please to the definition of that word NEIGHBOR:
NEIGHBOR – Greek #4139 plesion
.. a derivative of pelas (near); (adverbially) close by; as noun, a neighbor, i.e. fellow (as man, countryman, Christian or friend):

I have FRIENDS in this church !!! People whom I have confided in when I sinned .. those friends didn’t “run me out on a rail”, they supported me, reestablished me, and STUCK BY ME ! !

I was told early on in the ministry that a pastor CANNOT make friends of his congregation .. I beg to differ and I believe Jesus had something to say about that !!

John 15:15 (NKJ)
15 "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.
And . . .
James 2:23 (NIV)
23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.

ONE MORE THING about being friends (especially in church) – REMEMBER, you are BROTHERS .. brothers/sisters sometimes FIGHT LIKE CATS & DOGS, but IN THE END, they LOVE each other and stay together –THEY DON’T LEAVE – after all, they are brothers .. AFTER ALL, YOU ARE BROTHERS !!!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

You NEED 3 kinds of friends:

A Paul whom you can look up to, learn from, and be loved by,
A Barnabas with whom you can spar, lock horns, say anything to,
A Timothy whom YOU can love, nurture and train 

FINALLY, you need the FRIEND that STICKS CLOSER than a BROTHER . . .

Prov 18:24 (NKJ)
24 A man who has friends must himself be friendly, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

“What a friend we have in Jesus . . . all our sins and grief’s to bear,
What a privilege to carry . . . everything to God in prayer ! ! !
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes