The Seven Words of Praise

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Postby Pastor on Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:47 pm

For my birthday recently, someone gave me Chris Tomlin’s book, “Holy Roar” (Christ Tomlin has written or co-written some of the BEST praise and worship music of our generation) and he said that years ago he heard a teaching that FOREVER changed the way he worships.

The message he heard was called, “The Seven Words of Praise”

I nearly dropped the book because the Holy Spirit gave me that EXACT SAME TEACHING in 1981. Later I found out that Pastor Leonard Gardener ALSO wrote a mini book called “The Seven Words of Praise”.

Last Wednesday night during the teaching, all of a sudden I was bringing out some of the teaching, so I said, “OK God .. time to teach on it”!
Its one of my favorite subjects of all time and I first got to teach it at Charles & Frances Hunter’s School of Ministry.

You “old timers” who have been coming here for ages have heard it before, but as usual, God gave me NEW STUFF for it. Also, this teaching is foundational to the worship ministry hear at Heart. There are also, I realized, a significant amount of new people hear who have never hear this.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

You come to church here – or you see people here worshiping God and you may wonder – WHY do they lift their hands when they worship? I’m GLAD you asked, because today we are going to see what the Bible teaches about HOW TO WORSHIP GOD 

One of my GOALS in leading worship all of my life has been THIS:

2 Chron 5:11-14 KJV
11 And it came to pass, when the priests were come out of the holy place: (for all the priests that were present were sanctified, and did not then wait by course:
12 Also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:)
13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;
14 So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

It is only that we should just TALK about praising God, we are called to DO it .. for if we do NOT worship him, Jesus said that the ROCKS & STONES would CRY OUT .. we CAN’T allow that !

JESUS SAID in John 4:24 AMP
24 God is a Spirit (a spiritual Being) and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (reality).

NOW to the question .. why do we raise our hands in worship – OR for that matter, why do we play all manner of instruments, or shout or some of the other things we do to worship God. Sadly, there is very little in the New Testament about it .. in one place the Apostle Paul says that all men should raise their hands in prayer
We have to visit the Old Testament – see some of the types and shadows and see some of the principles that come THROUGH the CROSS (that He established forever).

(Turn to the flip chart)

So, whenever you see “Praise The Lord” in the Old Testament, there are SEVEN possible Hebrew words that were used in the original text .. each one has a different meaning, but they are all translated “PRAISE” .. that’s where we get to do a little DIGGING (study) :D

Yadah – Hands to God
Explain
#1) 3034 yadah (yaw-daw');
literally, to use (i.e. hold out) the hand; especially to revere or worship (with extended hands

Yadah does NOT mean “I surrender” . . it means, “I am extending myself to You, o God by lifting my hands to You”.

Yad means “hand” in Hebrew, and the “ah” represents the Name of God, so Yadah literally translated means “hands to God” :)

Lifting up of our hands to God is a Bible way to worship :) Read ALL of Psalm 134 and 1 Tim 2:8 :)

An EXAMPLE or two of the word Yadah (praise) used in a scripture.

2 Chron 20:21 KJV
21 And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise (Yadah the Lord) the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever.

Ps 107:1 KJV
107:1 O give thanks (Yadah) unto the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endureth for ever.

Ps 134:1 - 3 KJV
1 Behold, bless ye the LORD, all ye servants of the LORD, which by night stand in the house of the LORD.
2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the LORD.
3 The LORD that made heaven and earth bless thee out of Zion.

Towdah – Open hand full of worship
Explain
#2) 8426 towdah (to-daw');
an extension of the hand, i.e. (by implication) avowal, or (usually) adoration; . . .(sacrifice of) praise, thanks (-giving, offering).

Towdah is different from yadah in that we are GIVING TO GOD - GIVING THANKS.

EXAMPLES of the word Towdah (praise) used in a scripture.

Ps 50:23 (NKJ)
23 Whoever offers praise (by extending your hands to Me FULL of the sacrifice of praise) glorifies Me; and to him who orders his conduct aright I will show the salvation of God." (author’s notes in parentheses & italics)

Ps 100:4 KJV
4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving (Towdah), and into his courts with praise (Tehillah): be thankful (Yadah) unto him, and bless (Barak) his name.

Ps 141:2 KJV
2 Let my prayer be set forth before thee as incense; and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.

Barak – To kneel or bow
Explain – “Bowed before are you”
#3) 1288 barak (baw-rak');
to kneel; by implication to bless God (as an act of adoration)

An EXAMPLE of the word Barak (praise) used in a scripture.

Judg 5:1-2 (KJV)
1 Then sang Deborah and Barak the son of Abinoam on that day, saying,
2 Praise ye the LORD for the avenging of Israel, when the people willingly offered themselves.

When this word “praise” is read, it means, “kneel before the Lord as an act of praise”.

Very soon we are going call for a night of “Seeking The Lord” where people can kneel, bow, law prostrate before Him ..

ALSO (very profound):

Gen 14:18-20 KJV
18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.
19 And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth:
20 And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.

We should from time to time, kneel before the Lord, thus praising Him in a unique and humble way.

Ps 63:4 NIV
4 I will praise (Barak – KJV bless) you as long as I live,
and in your name I will lift up my hands.
… verse before …
3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.

Shabach – Shout to the Lord
Explain
#4) 7623 shabach (shaw-bakh');
to address in a loud tone, i.e. (specifically) loud;

Shabach is LOUD praise and yes, it IS scriptural ! ! ! We get awfully excited at our football games when the home team WINS :) Our God WINS .. let’s get excited about it once and a while ! ! !

EXAMPLES of the word Shabach (praise) used in a scripture.

Ps 147:12-13 (KJV)
12 Praise (shout praise to) the LORD, O Jerusalem; praise thy God, O Zion.
13 For he hath strengthened the bars of thy gates; he hath blessed thy children within thee. (author’s notes in parentheses & italics)

… and …

Ps 63:3-4 NKJV
3 Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips shall praise (Shabach) You. (My lips shall Shabach - shout unto you – My lips shall SHOUT PRAISES unto You)
4 Thus I will bless You while I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.

Halal (1984) – Raving, boasting praise
Explain – this is where we get Hallelujah
#5) 1984 halal (haw-lal');

to be clear to shine; hence, to make a show, to boast; and thus to be (clamorously) foolish; to rave; causatively, to celebrate; . . .

Halal is best described as the Grandma who sits down next to you on the 3 hour plane flight just before take-off, opens her wallet and says, “Have I told you about my grand children??”

Halal is praising God by singing or speaking of His GREAT WORKS ! !

EXAMPLES of the word Halal (praise) used in a scripture.

All of psalm 107 is a great example of halal in practice and the word praise (halal) occurs in verses 8, 15, 21, 31, and 32 :)

Psalm 148 is ALL halal except one tehillah in verse 14 :)

2 Chron 5:13-14 KJV
13 It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising (Halal) and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised (Halal) the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;
14 So that the priests could not stand to minister by reason of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of God.

Zamar (2167) – Strike the strings in worship
Explain – bring me here a minstrel (Elisha when asked to prophecy)
#6) 2167 zamar (zaw-mar');

[the idea of striking with the fingers]; properly, to touch the strings or parts of a musical instrument, i.e. play upon it; to make music, accompanied by the voice; hence to celebrate in song and music:

Zamar is praise unto God through “striking of the strings”, “touching the instrument”, etc. :)

EXAMPLES of the word Zamar (praise) used in a scripture.
Ps 147:7 (KJV)
7 Sing unto the LORD with thanksgiving; sing praise (Zamar) upon the harp unto our God:

Ps 21:13 (KJV)
13 Be thou exalted, LORD, in thine own strength: so will we sing and praise (strike the strings and sing praise to) thy power. (author’s notes in parentheses & italics)

Ps 98:5-6 NIV
5 make music (Zamar) to the LORD with the harp,
with the harp and the sound of singing,
6 with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn--
shout for joy before the LORD, the King.

Author’s Note – “Now that does NOT sound like the BORING worship I did as a kid at church !! “
===========================================
Tehillah – A combination of all
Explain – the Hebrew word Tehillah has its roots in ALL of the words from praise that we have studied today

EXAMPLES of the word Tehillah (praise) used in a scripture.

#7) 8416 tehillah-
praise, a song or a hymn of praise ,the act of general or public praise

Ps 149:1 (KJV)
1 Praise (Halal) ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise (Tehillah) in the congregation of saints.

The rest of psalm 149 speaks of praising God in the dance, with the instruments, singing loudly, and high praises - this has always led me to believe that tehillah is a combination of many of the forms of worship at once. This would be VERY important, because Psalm 22:3 declares that God INHABITS the praises (tehillah) of His people ! ! ! :)

2 Chr 20:21-23 (KJV)
21 And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed singers unto the LORD, and that should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army, and to say, Praise the LORD; for his mercy endureth for ever.
22 And when they began to sing and to praise (TEHILLAH), the LORD set ambushments against the children of Ammon, Moab, and mount Seir, which were come against Judah; and they were smitten.
23 For the children of Ammon and Moab stood up against the inhabitants of mount Seir, utterly to slay and destroy them: and when they had made an end of the inhabitants of Seir, every one helped to destroy another.

He DWELLS in THIS kind of praise – ever wonder why Father God seems more PRESENT when you or the church you are in is involved wil SINGING, & LIFTING HOLY HANDS, & ALL KINDS OF INSTRUMENTS – THIS is why

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SO this is WHY we praise God the way we do .. I invite each one HERE and those listening at home to be CHALLENGED by this Word and to CHANGE and to SUCCUMB to the wisdom of praising God – GOD’S way 

3034 = Yadah

8426 = Towdah

1974 = 1984 = Halal

1288 = Barak

2167 = Zamar

7623 = Shabach

8416 = Tehilla

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

x x x x x
x O x x O x O Ox O x Ox x Ox
xx xx xx xx x xx x xx x xxx
xx xx x xx xx xxx xx x xx
x x x x xxxx x x x x x x xxxx

YADAH TOWDAH BARAK SHABACH ZAMAR HALAL TEHILLAH
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes