Balance

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Balance

Postby Pastor on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 am

Balance

There is a LOT of wisdom in the Bible concerning balance .. but first, let’s look at what it is NOT

• Mixing faith with unbelief .. if in your prayer of faith

• Declaring when terrible things happen that Oh, well that’s God’s will for your life (I have found that saying that drives people from God)

Many believe that God causes the pain in their lives, but I’m going with Jesus causative ? Not enough proof
John 10:10
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Balance for the shepherd/pastor:

1 Peter 5:2-7 NASU
2 shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness;
3 nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock.
4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
Balance – God & Money?
Matt 22: NIVUK
15 Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16 They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. ‘Teacher,’ they said, ‘we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17 Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the poll-tax[a] to Caesar or not?’
18 But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, ‘You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19 Show me the coin used for paying the tax.’ They brought him a denarius, 20 and he asked them, ‘Whose image is this? And whose inscription?’
21 ‘Caesar’s,’ they replied.
Then he said to them, ‘So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.’
22 When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

Recently a man of God and his wife were both arrested for not paying taxes …

Romans 13 New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
13 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. 3 For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. 4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience.
6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: if you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honour, then honour.
8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law.
The ONLY exception is if the Government tells us to do something CONTRARY to God’s law . . .
Alright, let’s get some balance on WHO to Love …
Husbands love your wives?
Love God with all of your heart?
Love your neighbor as you love yourself?
… yes …
But WHO first? God for sure .. its like the airlines say, “ Should the cabin experience a sudden loss of pressure, oxygen masks will drop down from above your seat. Place the mask firmly over your mouth and nose, like this. Pull the strap to tighten it. Oxygen will begin to flow even if the mask does not fully inflate. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR OWN MASK IS ON FIRST BEFORE HELPING OTHERS.”
In the SAME WAY, make sure you are LOVING God before loving others !!
…then…
Look not only to the things of others
Philippians 2 New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
2 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 NOT LOOKING TO YOUR OWN INTERESTS BUT EACH OF YOU TO THE INTERESTS OF THE OTHERS. (careful not to do SO MUCH for others that you and yours suffer - balance)
5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:6 who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death –
even death on a cross!
9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

Do we cast out demons in the 21st century?
Do we cast out demons in the 21st century?: Yes, but there is not a demon in every doorknob …

If I get prayer for healing, should I still take my medicine?: Yes.
• It is the Word of God and the Holy Spirit that heals, not the act of stopping your medication!

It is the WORD of GOD that heals you .. not the act of throwing away your medicine or taking off your glasses. Meditate upon the Word of God concerning healing, for the Word is LIFE to all that find it and MEDICINE to all their flesh.
Do people speak in tongues too little? Too much?

Do people speak in tongues too much or too little?: Both – I am happy with the fact that folks sometimes challenge me – Pastor, do you EVER pray or speak in tongues? Quite a lot, actually, but since I am speaking to God and not you, you rarely hear me 

Proverbs is FULL of balance. This is this, but that is that.
For instance:
Proverbs 24:13-14New International Version - UK (NIVUK)
Saying 26
13 Eat honey, my son, for it is good;
honey from the comb is sweet to your taste.
14 Know also that wisdom is like honey for you:
if you find it, there is a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off.

Proverbs 25:16-17 NIVUK

16 If you find honey, eat just enough –
too much of it, and you will vomit.
17 Seldom set foot in your neighbour’s house –
too much of you, and they will hate you.

In all, balance means success. What God has done for others, you can expect Him to do for you .. if it sounds WAY OUT THERE, it probably is ..

In all, balance means moderation.

Philippians 4:5-7 King James Version (KJV)
5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

The word moderation in the Greek means appropriate, suitable
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes