Knowing The Father Is SO Important

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Postby Pastor on Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:47 pm

I have noticed through the years that my Christian friends who always emphasize Jesus, sometimes don’t know the Holy Spirit and MOST often have not gotten to know the Father .. (the mature ones know the Father)
Lets look for the Father in the Bible:

2 Cor 5:21 NKJV
21 For He (the Father) made Him who knew no sin (Jesus) to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

How about 2 verses back?

2 Cor 5:19 NKJV
19 that is, that God (the Father) was in Christ (Jesus) reconciling the world to Himself (the Father), not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

This is an EXTREMELY important message because of this:
Men who have NOT had a good relationship with THEIR Father have a HARDER time understanding and knowing The Father.

So let’s look at John 3:16 with NEW eyes:

John 3:16-17 NKJV
16 For God (the Father) so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son (Jesus), that whoever believes in Him (Jesus) should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God (the Father) did not send His Son (Jesus) into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him (Jesus) might be saved.

When Jesus appeared on earth, the Jews were expecting a Messiah who would rid them of the Romans (actually Jesus did WAY better by ridding them of their SINS if they believe). But instead of ridding them of the Romans, He came and revealed a God of LOVE .. Jesus constantly taught and spoke of THE FATHER. That isn't what they expected, but that's what they NEEDED ! !

Matt 6:9-13 NIV
9 "This, then, is how you should pray:
"'Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.'
(most other translations add, "Matt 6:13")
[For Yours (the Father's) is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.']
= = = = = = =
I used to have a banner hanging here at the church .. here is what it said:
" Christianity is not a religion; it is a family, a Father and His children."

True .. as a matter of fact, someone once told me that Heart is like a country church .. its family .. we know each other, we work together, we worship together, we love each other!! THAT is what it is SUPPOSED to be .. and I am GLAD :D

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Here is the BOTTOM LINE …
John 14 and Psalm 23
John 14:6-12 NIVUK
6 Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really know me, you will know[b] my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.’
8 Philip said, ‘Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.’
9 Jesus answered: ‘Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, “Show us the Father”? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

AND I mentioned Psalm 23 (for knowing the Father’s Love)
Psalm 23 King James Version (KJV)
23 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Recently, I have been studying and discussing with my friends, the concept of the God of the Old Testament and the God of the New .. I KNOW HE is the SAME, but I have been struggling for PROOF (the BEST proof is the verse in John 14 that I mentioned).
But as of THIS WEEK, I have gotten HALFWAY THERE ..

In the end, here’s what happens:
1 Cor 15:28 ESV
28 When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all.
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes