God’s Overwhelming Grace

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

God’s Overwhelming Grace

Postby Pastor on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:44 am

God’s Overwhelming Grace

I have a friend who is working on the fact that God’s Grace was His POWER on the Old Testament, but I haven’t studied that yet .. what I DID study led me to THIS message on God’s Overwhelming Grace.

FIRST let me remind everyone that our Father God is JUST, as well as full of grace:

Rom 11:22 AMPC
Then note and appreciate the gracious kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s gracious kindness to you—provided you continue in His grace and abide in His kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off (pruned away).

He HAS to be JUST, as well as kind because there is evil in the world and God will also judge FAIRLY in ALL cases!

That being said, let’s look at the BIGGEST question people ALWAYS ask me .. Why is the God of the Old Testament so MEAN and the God of the New Testament so nice?

I have the answer .. wanna hear it??

First turn to Heb 13:8 NIV
8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

That verse seems to fly in the face of the question at hand.

Here is the problem …
God talked about His mercy and love time and time again in the Old Testament, THEN He always gave them a choice:

Choose Door #1 - Love God and do what He says and prosper and live ..
Choose Door #2 - Forget God and don't do what He says and not prosper and be overcome by your enemies ..

A Hebrew scholar I was reading after said one time that MANY times the Old Testament words about God killing people should have been translated in the PERMISSIVE, not the CAUSATIVE form:

ALSO .. THIS passage tells me what God is REALLY like:

John 14:8-11 (NET Bible)
8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be content.” 9 Jesus replied, “Have I been with you for so long, and you have not known me, Philip? The person who has seen me has seen the Father! How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you, I do not speak on my own initiative, but the Father residing in me performs his miraculous deeds. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father is in me, but if you do not believe me, believe because of the miraculous deeds themselves.

THEREFORE, when you see what Jesus said and did in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, you are seeing exactly how God is .. and was .. and will EVER BE ! :D
. . . . . . .
Let’s look at God’s OVERWHELMING GRACE in the NT:

Luke 19:1-10 New International Version (NIV)
Zacchaeus the Tax Collector
19 Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2 A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy.3 He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. 4 So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-figtree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.
5 When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, “Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.”6 So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.
7 All the people saw this and began to mutter, “He has gone to be the guest of a sinner.”
8 But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.”
9 Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. 10 For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost.”

Did Jesus pick on him like many so called Christians would? Nope.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Luke 23:32-43 NIV
32 Two other men, both criminals, were also led out with him to be executed. 33 When they came to the place called the Skull, they crucified him there, along with the criminals—one on his right, the other on his left. 34 Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”[c] And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
35 The people stood watching, and the rulers even sneered at him. They said, “He saved others; let him save himself if he is God’s Messiah, the Chosen One.”
36 The soldiers also came up and mocked him. They offered him wine vinegar 37 and said, “If you are the king of the Jews, save yourself.”
38 There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
39 One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”
40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.[d]”
43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Did Jesus run him down like many so called Christians would? Nope. He just FORGAVE him and received him into life eternal :D
The OVERWHELMING Grace of God :D
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NOW let’s look at 2 verses in 1 John .. one well known, the other NOT SO MUCH !!
What happens to Christians who sin AFTER they are born again (has anyone YOU know ever done that)? :D
THINK about where the scripture is that instructs you what to do if you sin AFTER becoming a Christian .. wait for it .. wait for it
1 John . . 1 .. 9

1 John 1:8,9,10 NIV 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

AND the OTHER verse in 1 John is 1 John 5:16

1 John 5:16-18 ESV
16 If anyone sees his brother committing a sin not leading to death, he shall ask, and God[a] will give him life—to those who commit sins that do not lead to death. There is sin that leads to death; I do not say that one should pray for that. 17 All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that does not lead to death.
The MERCY of God!!

LASTLY .. John 3:17 & John 5:24

John 3:17 English Standard Version (ESV)
17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.

And MY personal favourite verse on salvation lately …

John 5:24 New English Translation (NET Bible)
24 “I tell you the solemn truth, the one who hears my message and believes the one who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned, but has crossed over from death to life.
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes