Three Short Sermons

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Three Short Sermons

Postby Pastor on Mon May 29, 2017 10:01 am

Three Short Sermons
I am going to give you three short sermons today .. each concept has been precious to my life personally, but none of these are long enough for their own sermons :D
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sermon 1:
Trust, Delight and Commit

Psalm 37:3,4 & 5 King James Version (KJV)
3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
4 Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.

I read this as a VERY YOUNG Christian with no job yet ..
Lets take these one at a time:

3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
As I said, I didn’t have a job yet and I didn’t yet know how I was going to make any money so that I could have a family and a house and a car ..
A preacher GAVE me my first car .. God LED me to start by teaching music lessons, then got me hired by an international ministry, then led me to start this church ministry .. SEE? Obey verse 3 .. Get the results of verse 3 :D :D :D

4 Delight thyself also in the LORD: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
As a VERY YOUNG Christian, I had a LOT of desires in my heart .. MANY that God has fulfilled in my life, but ALSO, that verse means TWO THINGS .. not only will He give you the desires of your heart, but He will put desires IN your heart!! :D
As you GROW in God and become FULL of His LOVE, your desires will CHANGE, GROW & BLOOM. Suddenly, your desire for nice things makes way for a desire to see the world SAVED!

5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; TRUST also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
This means PRAY .. TALK to God .. COMMIT your life to Him .. TRUST Him .. I guarantee you, things will start getting exciting QUICK (He has a LOT of great ideas and plans)

EVENTUALLY, I said to the Lord, “Whatever YOU want me to do .. I am OK with that!”.
One of the things that young Christians are sometimes afraid to pray is, “Lord, I will DO whatever You want .. I will GO wherever You want” because they are literally afraid He might send them to Africa ..
FEAR NOT .. let me tell you something about our Father (and His loving heart). If He wanted you to go to Africa, He would put a LOVE in your heart for Africa so that you would DESIRE with ALL of your heart to go there are work for Him :D :D :D Trust me, I know :D
Sermon 2:

“God’s Plan For Your Life?”

I don’t know how many times I have heard Christians telling each other after some terrible thing happens, “Well, that’s God’s Plan For Your Life”. Do you know how BAD that sounds? At least base your “encouragement” upon scripture!

Here’s what I know. When something goes wrong .. a car accident .. a financial disaster .. the death of a spouse .. if you say to someone, “That’s God’s plan for your life” and the very LEAST, it tempts people to hate God.
INSTEAD, let’s look at what the Bible says:
Rom 8:28 NASB
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.
Here you see that God is there to HELP you, not hurt you .. you see that God causes EVERYTHING to work together for your GOOD.
Wouldn’t it be a FAR more comforting thing and SCRIPTURAL thing to say to someone who has just experienced loss? Maybe you could follow with a testimony of how God made one of YOUR disasters work for YOUR good.

Joseph ……….. talk about his life .. end with scripture:
Genesis 50:15-19 New King James Version (NKJV)
15 When Joseph’s brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, “Perhaps Joseph will hate us, and may actually repay us for all the evil which we did to him.” 16 So they sent messengers to Joseph, saying, “Before your father died he commanded, saying, 17 ‘Thus you shall say to Joseph: “I beg you, please forgive the trespass of your brothers and their sin; for they did evil to you.”’ Now, please, forgive the trespass of the servants of the God of your father.” And Joseph wept when they spoke to him.
18 Then his brothers also went and fell down before his face, and they said, “Behold, we are your servants.”
19 Joseph said to them, “Do not be afraid, for am I in the place of God? 20 But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive. 21 Now therefore, do not be afraid; I will provide for you and your little ones.” And he comforted them and spoke kindly to them.

One more scripture about God’s plan for your life

Jer 29:11-12 (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.
Notice it says, ”plans to PROSPER you and NOT to HARM you”

THAT, my friends is God’s Plan For Your Life :D

Please, when disaster hits someone’s life, DON’T say “That’s God’s Plan For Your Life” .. rather ENCOURAGE them by telling them the truth that God will make EVEN THIS work for good if we love Him and we are His.
Sermon 3:

Count It Dung, Count It Joy

Kind of a funny title, but it is important to me:
In my FIRST time reading the New Testament through , I decided, “When I read and understand something, I will DO it!” That’s a FANTASTIC way to read the Bible ..
So, I was reading the Apostle Paul in Philippians …

Philippians 3:4-10 New Living Translation (NLT)
4 though I could have confidence in my own effort if anyone could. Indeed, if others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more!
5 I was circumcised when I was eight days old. I am a pure-blooded citizen of Israel and a member of the tribe of Benjamin—a real Hebrew if there ever was one! I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law. 6 I was so zealous that I harshly persecuted the church. And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault.
7 I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. 8 Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ 9 and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ.[c] For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. 10 I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, 11 so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!
I was reading the King James, so this is what I heard:
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but DUNG, that I may win Christ,

What that scripture taught me is that NO MATTER what we mere men think is important in life, being a billionaire, a rock star, a president/king or prince, PALES in the light of knowing God!! To know Him is SO MUCH more important than anything else, that the Bible says we count it dung .. pretty POWERFUL word picture.

ANOTHER WONDERFUL scripture that I came across that changed my life is found in John chapter 3..
.. again, I was reading from the KJV ..

John 3:26-30 King James Version (KJV)
26 And they came unto John, and said unto him, Rabbi, he that was with thee beyond Jordan, to whom thou barest witness, behold, the same baptizeth, and all men come to him.
27 John answered and said, A man can receive nothing, except it be given him from heaven.
28 Ye yourselves bear me witness, that I said, I am not the Christ, but that I am sent before him.
29 He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.
30 He must increase, but I must decrease. HEAR THAT? 30 HE MUST INCREASE, BUT I MUST DECREASE.

I prayed, “Lord I decrease .. INCREASE in me!!”

Since I had a “Parallel Bible”, I could read the King James, but if I didn’t understand, I could read the Living or the Revised standard versions, then go to the Amplified for more depth :D GREAT Bible to have!!
So here is that same passage from the Living Bible:

John 3:26-30 Living Bible (TLB)
26 So they came to John and said, “Master, the man you met on the other side of the Jordan River—the one you said was the Messiah—he is baptizing too, and everybody is going over there instead of coming here to us.”
27 John replied, “God in heaven appoints each man’s work. 28 My work is to prepare the way for that man so that everyone will go to him. You yourselves know how plainly I told you that I am not the Messiah. I am here to prepare the way for him—that is all. 29 The crowds will naturally go to the main attraction[e]—the bride will go where the bridegroom is! A bridegroom’s friends rejoice with him. I am the Bridegroom’s friend, and I am filled with joy at his success. 30 He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.

Then there is the SECOND half of this “little sermon”:

Count It Dung, Count It Joy
“Count It All Joy”
I had JUST STARTED reading the book of James for the FIRST TIME when I saw THIS:

James 1:1-4 King James Version (KJV)
1 James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3 Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

I know .. so I looked across the page of the Parallel Bible and read the Living . . .

James 1:1-4 Living Bible (TLB)
1 From: James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.
To: Jewish Christians scattered everywhere. Greetings!
2 Dear brothers, is your life full of difficulties and temptations? Then be happy, 3 for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow. 4 So let it grow, and don’t try to squirm out of your problems. For when your patience is finally in full bloom, then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete.

So there you have it .. 3 short sermons full of stuff that changed ME and meant a lot to ME .. I will post it on heartofthehills.com sermon notes if you would like to study them and let it bless YOUR life !! :D
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes