Taking The Bible Literally

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Postby Pastor on Tue May 16, 2017 10:58 am

If I could BOTTLE and SELL what I have for you today, I would be a GAZILLIONAIRE . . .
I have been trying to discover the SECRET to convincing people that the Word of God is to be taken LITERALLY and if you take it LITERALLY and DO what it says, you will have AMAZING SUCCESS in life !! :D :D :D
Let’s say your VERY RICH uncle told you go down to the bank .. ask the teller to open up the joint account which you AND your Uncle are on .. take out $100,000 today.
What if you then go to the bank .. open up the joint account .. and you only take out $100.
Now you go back to your uncle and tell him what you did and the reason you did it was because you thought he was only speaking figuratively. What would your uncle say?
THAT is what hundreds of thousands of Christians do when it comes to the Word of God.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I recently heard of a Catholic lady who is born again. She has heard the Gospel … and believes on Jesus and has received Jesus, but when talking to her about prayer, she believes that she should pray to Mary (the earthy mother of Jesus) and have Mary intercede for her. When it was pointed out that NOWHERE in the Bible does it teach us to go to Mary, her response was “We like our traditions.”

Mark 7:1-13 New English Translation (NET Bible)
Now the Pharisees and some of the experts in the law who came from Jerusalem gathered around him. 2 And they saw that some of Jesus’ disciples ate their bread with unclean hands, that is, unwashed. 3 (For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they perform a ritual washing, holding fast to the tradition of the elders. 4 And when they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. They hold fast to many other traditions: the washing of cups, pots, kettles, and dining couches.) 5 The Pharisees and the experts in the law asked him, “Why do your disciples not live according to the tradition of the elders, but eat with unwashed hands?” 6 He said to them, “Isaiah prophesied correctly about you hypocrites, as it is written:
‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me.
7 They worship me in vain,
teaching as doctrine the commandments of men.’
8 Having no regard for the command of God, you hold fast to human tradition.” 9 He also said to them, “You neatly reject the commandment of God in order to set up your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever insults his father or mother must be put to death.’ 11 But you say that if anyone tells his father or mother, ‘Whatever help you would have received from me is corban’ (that is, a gift for God), 12 then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother. 13 Thus you NULLIFY the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like this.”

What about prayer .. what is the RIGHT way to pray .. what is the REAL way to pray that Jesus taught so that I can have REAL answers .. so I can have REAL results?
Well, the Bible shows us the answer:
When the disciples asked Jesus “Teach us to pray”, Jesus said “Pray like this, Our Father …”
Turn to:
JOHN 16:23 KJ21
And in that day ye shall ask Me nothing. Verily, verily I say unto you, whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in My name, He will give it to you.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If I could discover the way to teach ALL Christians to rely on the Bible FULLY and rely on the Bible ONLY …..
Gallup 75% 28%
Recent Gallup Poll On American's View of Bible Reveals Utter Chaos Regarding Nature and Authority of Scripture
In 2008, 80% of Americans claim to be Christian .. today that number stands at 75%. The Christian Post recently published the findings of another Gallup poll designed to gauge Americans' opinion on the Bible. The findings reveal the utter chaos in our culture regarding the nature and authority of Scripture.
Gallup's poll found that only 28 percent of Americans (less than one third) believe that the Bible is the Word of God and should be taken literally. Many in America believe that the Bible is an "ancient book of fables, legends, history and moral precepts recorded by man". Yet nearly 50 percent believe that the Bible is the "inspired Word of God" while insisting that not all of its content be taken literally, but rather as "metaphors and allegories that allow for interpretation."
Clearly, the prevailing belief in our culture is that while the Bible may be the inspired Word of God, it doesn't mean what it says. It's only authoritative as long as the reader is the final arbiter of what it actually means. Debates on Scripture ultimately all come back to the issue of authority, and the majority of professing Christians in America have rejected the objective authority of the . . . Word of God and have replaced it with the authority of self.

I don’t think I am 100% there yet !!
I have heard testimonies of people who believe EXACTLY what the Bible says and they have been HEALED or BLESSED financially MORE than I.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What happens when you choose the Word of God as your sole source of your life?

I’m GLAD you asked
Now here is the message for today … if you read, meditate, and delight in the Word of God, then you will understand what God says for you to DO. AND, if you DO what the Word of God teaches ALL THE TIME, you will SUCCEED in LIFE.

Proof?
Josh 1:8 .. Psalm 1 .. James 1:25
(((((((((((secret of success)))))))))))
Josh 1:8 KJV
8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
Psalm 1 New English Translation (NET Bible)
1 How blessed is the one who does not follow the advice of the wicked,
or stand in the pathway with sinners,
or sit in the assembly of scoffers!
2 Instead he finds pleasure in obeying the LORD’s commands;
he meditates on his commands day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted by flowing streams;
it yields its fruit at the proper time,
and its leaves never fall off.
He succeeds in everything he attempts.
4 Not so with the wicked!
Instead they are like wind-driven chaff.
5 For this reason the wicked cannot withstand judgment,
nor can sinners join the assembly of the godly.
6 Certainly the LORD guards the way of the godly,
but the way of the wicked ends in destruction.

James 1:25 NKJV
25 But he who LOOKS into the perfect law of liberty and CONTINUES in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a DOER of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
On the OTHER side of the coin, for those who know the Word of God and do NOT choose to follow and obey it:
Our God IS God and He (because He loves us and KNOWS what will happen to us when we don’t follow the instructions in the “Manufacturer’s Handbook”) made RULES, LAWS like traffic lights. To those who REFUSE to obey God’s laws, you might just as well disobey EVERY stoplight out there. Just go ahead and run through EACH ONE. You will either get YOURSELF killed or SOMEONE ELSE of BOTH!! I can make it any clearer .. God’s Word is the TRUTH .. I DARE you to PROVE it for YOURSELF :D
This is a personal decision, plus Jesus has opened the door, we still have to decide to walk out the door. We have to decide whether the world's way is better or God's way is better.
I had to ask myself, how did I come to the place that I decided to live FULLY by the Word of God .. maybe if I discovered it, I could show OTHERS the truth.
As I thought about it, for me, I read the Bible with the intent of seeing if it was true .. and EVERYTHING I tried WORKED .. that was good enough for me :D
REMEMBER, if your tradition goes against the truth, and you decide to KEEP LIVING BY YOUR TRADITIONS, you will not find the same success.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
In the end, it seem to me to be a CHOICE ..

I am going to CHALLENGE you .. I am going to DARE you to BELIEVE the Bible .. Act like the Bible is True and believe ONLY the Bible.. not the Bible AND what various pops wrote, not the Bible and “Another Testament Of Jesus Christ”, not the Bible and “Science and Health”, just the BIBLE !!

If you come across something in the Bible that is the OPPOSITE of your traditions .. CHANGE your mind .. RENEW your mind .. if you want GOOD SUCCESS :D
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes