The Fruit And Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Postby Pastor on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:38 pm

How do you grow fruit?

He is the vine .. we are the branches ..

We MUST spend TIME on the VINE .. EVERYBODY SAY TIME ON THE VINE

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23 NASB

As you spend TIME on the VINE, your _(add in each fruit of the Spirit)_ will grow!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, as we teach about the GIFTS that the Holy Spirit gives us, remember, the gifts should NOT be operated without the FRUIT!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The gifts of the Holy Spirit – what they are and some examples of them in the life of Jesus.

In the Charismatic Movement of the 60’s and 70’s, many teachings were put forth concerning God the Holy Spirit and His gifts to men. From the early 70’s on, I benefited from many of our gifted teachers both live and on tape and I NOW FEEL THE LEADING TO BEGIN TO ESTABLISH GOOD DOCTRINE FOR THIS GENERATION.

First of all, Jesus was born as a man and apparently left His natural Godly powers behind Him. Some books (not scripture) try to claim that Jesus did some miracles while He was growing up, but the Word of God declares no such thing. They say He made a bird out of clay and breathed life into it and it flew away .. there is no such occurrence in the Holy Scriptures. Contrariwise, the Bible says He minded His earthy parents and grew in favor with God and man.

In Matthew 3, Jesus came to John to be baptized and ONLY AFTER HIS BAPTISM did the Holy Spirit descend on Him and He began doing miracles. Now, as I explain the GIFTS of the SPIRIT, I will attempt to give examples of the gifts working in the life of Jesus. (Remember, Jesus said “the works that I do shall YOU do also .. and GREATER works because I go to my Father.) Let’s listen and learn and get EXCITED about how God will use US in the GIFTS of the SPIRIT ! !

1 Cor 12:1 (NAS)

1 Now concerning spiritual {gifts,} brethren, I do not want you to be unaware.
. . .

1 Cor 12:4-11 (NAS)
4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord.
6 And there are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all {persons.}
7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.
8 For to one is given the (#1)WORD OF WISDOM through the Spirit, and to another the (#2) WORD OF KNOWLEDGE according to the same Spirit;
9 to another (#3) FAITH by the same Spirit, and to another (#4) GIFTS OF HEALING by the one Spirit,
10 and to another the (#5) EFFECTING OF MIRACLES, and to another (#6) PROPHECY, and to another the (#7) DISTINGUISHING OF SPIRITS, to another (#8) {VARIOUS} KINDS OF TONGUES, and to another the (#9)INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES.
11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

The (#1)WORD OF WISDOM is exactly as it implies – it is a WORD or a PIECE of God’s wisdom. For example, since God knows the future as well as the past, many times the WORD OF WISDOM will be a WORD OF THE FUTURE.

Example from Jesus:

Mark 13:1-2 (KJV)
1 And as he went out of the temple, one of his disciples saith unto him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings are here!
2 And Jesus answering said unto him, Seest thou these great buildings? there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.

How did He know? The WORD OF WISDOM . . . be READY, God may grant you a WORD OF WISDOM .. you will use it to be a blessing to people ! !

The (#2) WORD OF KNOWLEDGE is supernaturally given knowledge of people, places, or things.

Example from Jesus:

Matt 9:2-8 (NKJ)
2 Then behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, "Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you."
3 And at once some of the scribes said within themselves, "This Man blasphemes!"
4 But Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, "Why do you think evil in your hearts?
5 "For which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Arise and walk'?
6 "But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins"-- then He said to the paralytic, "Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house."
7 And he arose and departed to his house.
8 Now when the multitudes saw it, they marveled and glorified God, who had given such power to men.

Once again, BE READY to be a BLESSING to people as God gives you WORDS OF KNOWLEDGE.

The gift of (#3) FAITH enables you to “walk by faith and not by sight”.

Jesus went to the cross IN FAITH .. KNOWING that His Father God would do what He SAID He would do and RAISE HIM FROM THE DEAD. It takes GREAT FAITH in what God has said to willingly do what God has asked of you (in Jesus’ case, go to the cross and trust in God). Do you have the FAITH to LAUNCH OUT and DO what God has ASKED YOU to do?? The GIFT of faith makes it possible . . .

Example from Jesus:

Luke 22:41-43 (NIV)
41 He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed,
42 "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."
43 An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him.

The GIFT OF FAITH . . .

(#4) GIFTS OF HEALING were REAL common in the life of Jesus. Notice He said, “I don’t speak My words .. what I hear the Father say, I speak .. I don’t do My own works .. what I see the Father do, I do.” So, Jesus was giving GIFTS OF HEALING from the Father. When YOU lay hands on people and pray, be OPEN to God giving YOU a GIFT OF HEALING for someone else .. then praise God TOGETHER for the healing because it didn’t come from you .. it was a GIFT from GOD 

Example from Jesus:

Acts 10:38 (KJV)
38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.

(#5) EFFECTING OF MIRACLES is a POWERFUL gift .. it is DEFINITELY POSSIBLE for God to move through YOU in this way.

Example from Jesus:

Mar 6:45 (WNT - Weymouth New Testament)
Immediately afterwards He made His disciples go on board the boat and cross over to Bethsaida, leaving Him behind to dismiss the crowd.
Mar 6:46 He then bade the people farewell, and went away up the hill to pray.
Mar 6:47 When evening was come, the boat was half way across the (sea), while he Himself was on shore alone.
Mar 6:48 But when He saw them distressed with rowing (for the wind was against them), towards morning He came towards them walking on the (sea), as if intending to pass them.
Mar 6:49 They saw Him walking on the water, and thinking that it was a spirit they cried out;
Mar 6:50 for they all saw Him and were terrified. He, however, immediately spoke to them. "There is no danger," He said; "it is I; be not alarmed."
Mar 6:51 Then He went up to them on board the boat, and the wind lulled; and they were beside themselves with . . amazement.

Actually there are 2 EFFECTING (WORKING) OF MIRACLES here. One, when the GIFT OF THE SPIRIT allowed Him to SUPERCEDE physics and walk on the water, and TWO, when the wind that was keeping GROWN FISHERMEN from making any headway across the sea STOPPED 

(#6) PROPHECY. If God chooses to speak a PROPHECY through you, you are NOT NECESSARILY a PROPHET. A PROPHET itself is a MINISTRY gift given to the faithful and called. A PROPHET “sees”. In the Old Testament he was called a “seer” because he would see what God wanted and therefore tell the people. PROPHECY is a MOMENTARY INSPIRATION. It MUST meet these TWO QUALIFICATIONS in order to be PROPHECY:
ONE:
1 Cor 14:3 (NIV)
3 But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their STRENGTHENING, ENCOURAGEMENT and COMFORT.
TWO:
Rev 19:10b (KJV)
10 . . . for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

Example from Jesus:

Matt 26:62-65 (NIV)
62 Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?"
63 But Jesus remained silent. The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God."
64 "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "BUT I SAY TO ALL OF YOU: IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL SEE THE SON OF MAN SITTING AT THE RIGHT HAND OF THE MIGHTY ONE AND COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF HEAVEN."
65 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, "He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. (Author’s note – not blasphemy .. PROPHECY.)

(#7) DISTINGUISHING OF SPIRITS is often misunderstood, but it is actually quite easy. It is the GOD GIVEN ability to recognize what spirit is operating (or speaking) at the moment. (God’s Spirit, human spirits, angel spirits or demon spirits). It is a GREAT BLESSING to be operating in THIS GIFT so that you will NOT be DECEIVED ! ! !

Example from Jesus:

Matt 16:21-23 (NAS)
21 From that time Jesus Christ began to show His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day.
22 And Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, "God forbid {it,} Lord! This shall never happen to You."
23 But He turned and said to Peter, "Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on God's interests, but man's."

Notice Jesus faced Peter, but talked to Satan .. Jesus discerned who was trying to deter Him.

The last two, (#8) {VARIOUS} KINDS OF TONGUES, and the (#9)INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES I cannot find any examples in Jesus’ life .. either Jesus did not use the gifts in public, or perhaps He didn’t NEED the gift. However, there are PLENTY of examples of the gifts in the lives of the APOSTLE PAUL and the CHRISTIANS in the NEW TESTAMENT.

FIRST, let’s learn what the gifts are FOR:

1 Cor 14:2-40 (various) (NIV)
2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit.
. . .
4 He who speaks in a tongue edifies himself, but he who prophesies edifies the church.
5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
. . .
. . .
12 So it is with you. Since you are eager to have spiritual gifts, try to excel in gifts that build up the church.
13 For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says.
14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful.
15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.
. . .
17 You may be giving thanks well enough, but the other man is not edified.
18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you.
19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.
. . .
21 In the Law it is written: "Through men of strange tongues and through the lips of foreigners I will speak to this people, but even then they will not listen to me," says the Lord.
. . .
. . .
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two-- or at the most three-- should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret.
28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God.
. . .
39 Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.
40 But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way.

The INTERPRETATION OF TONGUES is used in combination with the PUBLIC use of TONGUES to equal PROPHECY.

1 Cor 12:29-31 (NIV)
29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles?
30 Do all have gifts of healing? Do all speak in tongues? Do all interpret?
31 But eagerly desire the greater gifts. And now I will show you the most excellent way.

The CONTEXT demonstrates the PUBLIC use of tongues NOT the PRIVATE PRAYER use.
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes