Praying In Tongues

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Praying In Tongues

Postby Pastor on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Praying In Tongues

While speaking with many people this week, I asked if they pray in tongues. Many did not, let me tell you the extreme advantage of being able to pray in the spirit or in other tongues as the Bible says.

Rom 8:28 NASB
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Rom 8:27 NASB
and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Rom 8:26 NASB
In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words;

In the late seventies I heard about this advantage in prayer and I asked God over and over to fill me with the Holy Spirit. One day, I told someone from church that I wished God would fill me with His Spirit .. Their answer? “He already has!”

I was thrilled because inside me I knew they were right, so I went home that night and knelt by the bed . . .

I’ll tell you in a minute what happened, but first lets look at the scriptures that gave me confidence that I would indeed experience this prayer language called praying in tongues:

Acts 2 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The Day of Pentecost
2 When the day of Pentecost [a]had come, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a noise like a violent rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared to them tongues as of fire [b]distributing themselves, and [c]they [d]rested on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other [e]tongues, as the Spirit was giving them [f]utterance.
Who was doing the speaking? And Who was giving the utterance (words to speak)?

OK, so I knew that since I was filled with the Spirit, the Holy Spirit would give me the words to speak as I was willing to speak out.

The first word I said scared me so bad, I didn’t do it again for 6 months. Inside I was yearning, but my head told me it was crazy. Finally, I decided the Bible was true and I had nothing to fear. I determined that I would persevere no matter what, so as the Holy Spirit enabled me, I began to pray again in what I assumed was a language. My head again told me it was foolish .. that I was babbling, but … after about 5 minutes, I felt POWER and WARMTH in me.

Lets check out another passage before I continue my story:

1 Cor 14:1-5 NASB
14 Pursue love, yet desire earnestly spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy. 2 For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God; for no one [a]understands, but [b]in his spirit he speaks mysteries. 3 But one who prophesies speaks to men for edification and exhortation and consolation. 4 One who speaks in a tongue EDIFIES HIMSELF; but one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

After believing what the Word says and acting upon it, I realized that praying in tongues was REAL, so I kept it up in my prayer times. Little by little my mind settled down (got renewed to the truth that this was Godly and perfect prayer). Funnily enough, I was driving one day and started praying in tongues, but I forgot that one of my daughters was in the car .. she said, “Holy Spirit Daddy?” Cool . . .

To this day I will begin praying what I know about all of you in English, but when I reach the that I “know not how (or what) to pray”, I switch over to praying in tongues because He knows God’s will and prays through me, for you perfectly!!

I couple of funny stories:

Patty Duller a few years ago was Born again and filled with the Spirit so I was encouraging her along these lines. She told me one day, “I was shopping at Target when all of a sudden I was speaking in words I didn’t know.”

Len Mink told me personally that he was sitting “on the throne” minding his own business when he suddenly realized that he was praying in another language.

Several of you in this congregation have told me about getting a few words here and there and speaking them out, and then like me, going with the flow and letting the Holy Spirit give them MORE and MORE words and becoming more comfortable with praying in other tongues :D

Is this REAL? Oh Yeah ..

I was in a Methodist church volunteering to lead a Lay Witness program for their youth. They had me sit in a chair in the middle as they prayed for me and the mission. I was OVERWHELMED with the POWER of GOD .. so much that I said, “What it that?”. One of the sweet older ladies said, “We were praying over you in the Spirit (in tongues).
It doesn’t have to be loud, after all didn’t the scripture say, “He that speaks in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men, but God?”

Back to 1 Cor 14
6 But now, brethren, if I come to you speaking in tongues, what will I profit you unless I speak to you either by way of revelation or of knowledge or of prophecy or of teaching? 7 Yet even lifeless things, either flute or harp, in producing a sound, if they do not produce a distinction in the tones, how will it be known what is played on the flute or on the harp? 8 For if the [c]bugle produces an indistinct sound, who will prepare himself for battle? 9 So also you, unless you utter by the tongue speech that is clear, how will it be known what is spoken? For you will be speaking into the air. 10 There are, perhaps, a great many kinds of [d]languages in the world, and no kind is without meaning. 11 If then I do not know the meaning of the language, I will be to the one who speaks a [e]barbarian, and the one who speaks will be a [f]barbarian [g]to me. 12 So also you, since you are zealous of [h]spiritual gifts, seek to abound for the edification of the church.
13 Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.14 For if I pray in a tongue, MY SPIRIT PRAYS, BUT MY MIND IS UNFRUITFUL.15 What is the outcome then? I WILL PRAY WITH THE SPIRIT AND I WILL PRAY WITH THE MIND ALSO; I WILL SING WITH THE SPIRIT AND I WILL SING WITH THE MIND ALSO. 16 Otherwise if you bless [i]in the spirit only, how will the one who fills the place of the [j]ungifted say the “Amen” at your giving of thanks, since he does not know what you are saying? 17 FOR YOU ARE GIVING THANKS WELL ENOUGH, but the other person is not edified. 18 I THANK GOD, I SPEAK IN TONGUES MORE THAN YOU ALL; 19 however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pastor, how I get that?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
First, you must be born again:
John 3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
3 Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews; 2 this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these [a]signs that You do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born [b]again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
4 Nicodemus *said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not be amazed that I said to you, ‘You must be born [c]again.’8 The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
9 Nicodemus said to Him, “How can these things be?” 10 Jesus answered and said to him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony. 12 If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how will you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven, but He who descended from heaven: the Son of Man. 14 As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up;15 so that whoever [d]believes will in Him have eternal life.
16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His [e]only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

I would like EACH one of you both HERE and AT HOME to believe that “Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures”

Believing that, please turn to Romans 8:9-10 . . .
8 But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 [e]that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, [f]resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, [g]resulting in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE [h]DISAPPOINTED.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for “WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.”

If you don’t know how to pray for your own salvation, let me led you:
Heavenly Father … I believe that Jesus died for my sins … according to the Scriptures … and that He was buried … and that He was raised on the third day … to forgive me of my sins … I receive Jesus .. as MY Lord and Savior .. Jesus, You said in Your Word .. he that comes to me .. I will not cast out .. but I will take him in .. thank You Jesus .. I know you have not cast me out .. but you have taken me in .. amen!

Through the years, people have prayed that prayer with me and eventually came up and told me, “Pastor, I prayed that prayer with you and one day I meant it and I received Jesus and I am born again (saved)!” If that’s you today, please come and tell me because the scriptures say that you need to be baptized (as an adult like Jesus was).

Next, be filled with the Spirit .. how? One of 2 scriptural ways:
Acts 10:25-48 NASB
25 When Peter entered, Cornelius met him, and fell at his feet and [t]worshiped him. 26 But Peter raised him up, saying, “Stand up; I too am just a man.” 27 As he talked with him, he entered and *found many people assembled. 28 And he said to them, “You yourselves know how unlawful it is for a man who is a Jew to associate with a foreigner or to visit him; and yet God has shown me that I should not call any man [u]unholy or unclean. 29 That is why I came without even raising any objection when I was sent for. So I ask for what reason you have sent for me.”
30 Cornelius said, “Four days ago to this hour, I was praying in my house during the [v]ninth hour; and behold, a man stood before me in shining garments, 31 and he *said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your [w]alms have been remembered before God. 32 Therefore send to Joppa and invite Simon, who is also called Peter, to come to you; he is staying at the house of Simon the tanner by the sea.’ 33 So I sent for you immediately, and you have [x]been kind enough to come. Now then, we are all here present before God to hear all that you have been commanded by the Lord.”
34 Opening his mouth, Peter said:
“I most certainly understand now that God is not one to show partiality,35 but in every nation the man who [y]fears Him and [z]does what is right is welcome to Him. 36 The word which He sent to the sons of Israel, preaching [aa]peace through Jesus Christ (He is Lord of all)— 37 you yourselves know the thing which took place throughout all Judea, starting from Galilee, after the baptism which John proclaimed. 38 [ab]You know of Jesus of Nazareth, how God anointed Him with the Holy Spirit and with power, [ac]and how He went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed by the devil, for God was with Him. 39 We are witnesses of all the things He did both in the [ad]land of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They also put Him to death by hanging Him on a [ae]cross.40 God raised Him up on the third day and granted that He become visible, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses who were chosen beforehand by God, that is, to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead. 42 And He ordered us to [af]preach to the people, and solemnly to testify that this is the One who has been appointed by God as Judge of the living and the dead. 43 Of Him all the prophets bear witness that through His name everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins.”
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who were listening to the [ag]message. 45 All the [ah]circumcised believers who came with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they were hearing them speaking with tongues and exalting God. Then Peter answered, 47 “Surely no one can refuse the water for these to be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we did, can he?”48 And he ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to stay on for a few days.

The other way people in the Bible received the Holy Spirit was by the laying on of hands:
Acts 19 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Paul at Ephesus
19 It happened that while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul passed through the upper country and came to Ephesus, and found some disciples. 2 He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “No, we have not even heard whether [a]there is a Holy Spirit.” 3 And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” 4 Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 When they heard this, they were baptized [b]in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7 There were in all about twelve men.

So, its time to PRAY and BELIEVE .. if you have received Jesus, but are not sure that you have been baptized in the Spirit, we will pray now that you receive the infilling (baptism) of the Holy Spirit .. after that we will open the altar and invite you to have hands laid on you to receive the Holy Spirit if you choose: :D
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes