How To Change People (I realize you truly can't, but this se

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

How To Change People (I realize you truly can't, but this se

Postby Pastor on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:23 pm

How To Change People (I realize you truly can't, but this sermon will help you take your best shot)

Provocative title . . .

I was amazed to hear one of the guys say, "When you TELL me to do something, my natural response is to do the OPPOSITE !!" I THOUGHT THAT WAS JUST ME .. I can be a REAL REBEL .. I was told at a pastor's conference years ago, "You CAN'T be friends with your congregation." I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT .. WATCH ME !!!

Linda and I have been on cruise ships with some of y'all, we have camped at KOA and Shipshewana, stayed in our favorite cabins . . ... AND WE ARE STILL FRIENDS :D We are FAMILY in Christ and we ACT like family .. that's how it SHOULD be :D

Years Ago, two WELL MEANING GUYS from Leach Road Church came to tell me one day, "You need to give up your girlfriend and quit your band if you want to be Godly." I smiled and listened and it went in one ears and our the other. It wasn't until I was reading in the Bible that the Word of God changed my heart:

2 Cor 6:14-18 NKJV
14 Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? 15 And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? 16 And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you[b] are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
“I will dwell in them
And walk among them.
I will be their God,
And they shall be My people.”
17 Therefore
“Come out from among them
And be separate, says the Lord.
Do not touch what is unclean,
And I will receive you.”
18 “I will be a Father to you,
And you shall be My sons and daughters,
Says the LORD Almighty.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, here is a scripture that STARTS OUT saying there is NO WAY to change someone ..

1 Cor 7:16 NIV
16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?
1 Peter 3 New International Version (NIV)
1 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives.

OK, so there is not a GUARANTEE that the person will change, but I am sharing with you the HOPE that someone will change and the BEST WAY to set up the circumstances

I was told that the old time Baptist sermons had elements like this. Cut your hair I saw you coming out of the bar last night you are all sinners and you need to repent (along with the heavy breathing that accompanies it) (I have been told it is pretty scary)

Jesus changed people .. How?

John 8 New International Version (NIV)
8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
11 “No one, sir,” she said.
“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.” "Go and sin NO MORE"

One time Jesus said to a man (AFTER loving him by healing him) "Don't sin any more lest a WORSE thing come upon you"

Revelation 2 New King James Version (NKJV)
2 “To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,
‘These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: 2 “I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name’s sake and have not become weary. 4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place—unless you repent. 6 But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God.”’
8 “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write,
‘These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life: 9 “I know your works, tribulation, and poverty (but you are rich); and I know the blasphemy of those who say they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. 10 Do not fear any of those things which you are about to suffer. Indeed, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and you will have tribulation ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.
11 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.”’

Notice the ORDER in which Jesus tells people . . Love first, Instruction second

Romans 2 New English Translation (NET Bible)
2 Therefore you are without excuse, whoever you are, when you judge someone else. For on whatever grounds you judge another, you condemn yourself, because you who judge practice the same things. 2 Now we know that God’s judgment is in accordance with truth against those who practice such things. 3 And do you think, whoever you are, when you judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself, that you will escape God’s judgment? 4 Or do you have contempt for the wealth of his kindness, forbearance, and patience, and yet do not know that GOD’S KINDNESS LEADS YOU TO REPENTANCE?
- - - NKJV "the goodness of God leads you to repentance?"

1 John 4:7-8

7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love. 9 In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him. 10 In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.

Here is something VITAL that we learned in Stephen Ministries:

Don't tell me how much you know until you show me how much you care

don't tell me what to do until you show me that you care

www.doseofleadership.com/20-inspiration ... lt-quotes/
Theodore Roosevelt believed it was his destiny to lead the people of the United States into the Twentieth Century... “Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."

We have had MANY testimonies at Heart .. I came to church reluctantly, but I found they were NORMAL people .. I found that they were LOVING people .. I gave my heart to the Lord

Especially a couple that came here years ago - she sang in the choir, her husband didn't go to church - finally - reluctantly, he came on a Christmas Eve - he found they we are NORMAL people .. he found that we are LOVING people .. He gave his heart to the Lord :D
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have been looking for balance for a LONG time and I think I found it while discussing the Word with my Men yesterday morning ..

Intent of the heart ...

Let me explain:

I have LONG had a line of demarcation here at Heart:

A couple comes to me who are living together and want to get married .. GREAT let me help you get into a MORAL situation by marrying you .. HOWEVER, if you want to have your bridal shower here, no .. but have it at your Mom's or somewhere and we will all come ..

Another similar - I had a couple that was engaged, but again LIVING together and she wanted to sing a solo at church ..
I said, after you are married, let's talk about it :D

We follow God's moral standards .. there IS a right and a wrong ..

Then, I was asked the question .. what if somebody LIES, are they prevented from ministering from the church platform?

The ANSWER? Intent of the heart ... If you are at least TRYING to follow God's moral standards, not openly defying them, you may minister to the people here at Heart :D

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

God is doing a GREAT thing .. I am changing .. God is changing me :D I LIKE it !!

Last Point ... change yourself and others may follow your example.
-------
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes