Rejection

Sermon notes from the desk of Pastor Rob Fisk

Rejection

Postby Pastor on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Rejection

This is HUGE ...

Rejection is one of the things that causes the MOST pain in MOST of our lives. I have been sensing for a while that we needed some help and Bible teaching on the subject so we could begin to heal ...

I realized after studying this, that ANYTIME someone left the church through the years, I felt deeply hurt (no matter what the cause was for their leaving) .. I finally realized that it was because I always felt personally rejected.

Also, a few years back, I realized that I was suffering from Approval Addiction - when you really consider it, when you don't get someone's approval, you feel ... rejected.

So REJECTION is a ROOT CAUSE for a LOT of what ails us !!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The CURE from rejection involves our interaction with God AND our interaction with people!!

3 points:

1). We MUST change our way of thinking and realized that God loves us for who we are, NOT for what we do, AND we should expect that from the people AROUND us.

2). We MUST love God AND we must love ourselves.

3). We MUST know who we REALLY are (what God has made us).

That might seem out of order a bit, but we explore the scriptures, you will see why I chose this order :D
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1). We MUST change our way of thinking and realized that God loves us for who we are, NOT for what we do, AND we should become mature enough to expect that from the people AROUND us.

MOST of us suffer from some form of belief that we must PERFORM in order to be LOVED.

Gen 29:31-35 NIV

31 When the LORD saw that Leah was not loved, he enabled her to conceive, but Rachel remained childless. 32 Leah became pregnant and gave birth to a son. She named him Reuben,[b] for she said, “It is because the LORD has seen my misery. Surely my husband will love me now.”
33 She conceived again, and when she gave birth to a son she said, “Because the LORD heard that I am not loved, he gave me this one too.” So she named him Simeon.[c]
34 Again she conceived, and when she gave birth to a son she said, “Now at last my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons.” So he was named Levi.[d]
35 She conceived again, and when she gave birth to a son she said, “This time I will praise the LORD.” So she named him Judah.[e] Then she stopped having children.

What happened"

1 Tim 6:6

6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

"Oh well, too bad, so sad, bu-bye . . ."

So, do you still think you need to EARN God's love? Look at THIS verse:

Romans 5:6-9
6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: WHILE WE WERE STILL SINNERS, Christ died for us.
9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!

WHILE WE WERE STILL SINNERS .. HOW IS THAT EARNING HIS LOVE?

GOD LOVES YOU BECAUSE OF WHO YOU ARE :D

2). We MUST love God AND we must love ourselves.

Mark 12:28-34 NIV
28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”
29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.[e] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[f] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[g]There is no commandment greater than these.”
32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.”
You love your neighbor HOW??

If you don't love YOURSELF, how will that translate to your neighbor?

Remember, every time you fly, the person giving the safety briefing says, "Put the oxygen mask on YOURSELF before helping someone else .. " Why, because if you pass out, how are you going to be able to help your child or anyone around you?

If you don't grow up in God and become strong, how are you going to help your child or anyone else grow up in God and become strong?

I learned something about rejection this week from a post on Facebook about millennials . . . to spoil someone is to REJECT them .. when you do everything FOR them, you are telling them they CAN'T do it .. remember when dad tried to let you hammer and he got frustrated with you and took the hammer away and did it himself? How did you feel? What did that say to you?

3). We MUST know who we REALLY are (what God has made us).

For example: Ephesians 1:3-14

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has BLESSED us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.4 For he CHOSE US in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In LOVE 5 he[b] PREDESTINED us for ADOPTION TO SONSHIP[c] through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will— 6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. 7 In him WE HAVE REDEMPTION through his blood, the FORGIVENESS of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s GRACE 8 THAT HE LAVISHED on us. With all wisdom and understanding, 9 he[d] made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, 10 to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment—to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ.
11 In him we were also chosen,[e] having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12 in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13 And you also were INCLUDED IN CHRIST when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, YOU WERE MARKED IN HIM WITH A SEAL, THE PROMISED HOLY SPIRIT, 14 who is a deposit GUARANTEEING OUR INHERITANCE until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FINALLY, Jesus was despised and rejected by men. Even though Jesus was perfect, He suffered undeserved rejection all His life. Jesus was rejected be His peers, by His nation, by the Gentiles, by the world He created .. and in the hour of His agony, He was betrayed, denied by a friend, abandoned by His disciples, and in the end cried out, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?"

If ANYONE understands rejection, its Jesus .. turn to Him, learn of Him .. let Him heal you from the inside out :D
Pastor

Return to Sermon Notes